Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Thighs Have it

I'm reading way too much talk about whether or not thighs touch and whether or not that's a good thing or a bad thing. Girls whose thighs touch think it's wrong if they don't touch, while girls whose thighs don't touch think it's wrong if they do. Maybe they're both wrong.
I'm a guy, so I don't know if I qualify for the discussion, but my thighs don't touch. Does that mean there's something wrong with me? I doubt it. If my thighs did touch, should I be concerned? I doubt that, either.
There are websites devoted to this topic, where girls discuss how they managed to go from touching thighs to separated thighs ( a thigh divorce, perhaps). They seem awful proud of themselves. That's sad. Is there a website where girls discuss how they managed to get their separated thighs back together? Probably not. Should there be? Should either website exist? Probably not.
Here's something that might even be sadder than websites devoted to thigh management: parents drilling into their kids' heads that women whose thighs don't touch have problems (or that somehow separated thighs are a bad thing). Thighs are just thighs, neither good nor bad. If they touch, fine. If they don't, fine.
Parents, and by that I mean moms, don't need to tell their children, and by that I mean daughters, there is or isn't a problem with thighs touching or not touching.
Britney Spears' thigh touch, Paris Hilton's don't. Does that make one woman any better than the other?
Maybe we should just stop paying so much attention to thighs. I can tell you as a man I've never heard another man say, "I would have slept with her but her thighs touched." Nor has any man said, "She'd be a great girlfriend if her thighs touched."
Ladies should not be afraid to having touching thighs nor should they be afraid to have a little space in between. That's the message we should send - that it's perfectly normal to have thighs of any size. Moms don't need to put down other, perfectly healthy women to give their daughters confidence. A woman who's 5 feet 10 and 120 lbs is not a bad role model, just as a woman who is 5 feet 5 and 160 lbs is not a bad role model.
Here's a suggestion: put your knees together, if your thighs touch give yourself a pat on the back; if they don't touch give yourself a pat on the back. This way, everyone wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment