Monday, June 11, 2012

Call Me, Britney

If Carly Rae Jepson wrote a song about meeting Britney Spears, it would go like this:
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy, but here's a pen, would you sign this maybe . . . hug me maybe . . . take a picture maybe . . . stand there for five minutes and pretend to listen maybe . . . maybe.
Running into Britney must be awkward for almost all parties involved. There's you, not quite sure what to do; Britney, not quite sure what to do; and the bodyguard, quite sure what to do, and that's move you along.
I don't think Britney is a bad person for ignoring total strangers if she happens to be in a 1-on-1-on-1 situation. And I can't even feel bad for the person who gets ignored, because I've never heard an "I met Britney" story where the person even seemed slightly angry about getting ignored. Most IMB stories contain the same words/phrases: dead, died, OMG, amazing, couldn't speak, and fainted. They never contain the words: angry, mad, annoyed or pissed.
It seems like Britney fans don't care that she ignores them. They're just honored to be in her presence, like she's royalty. I guess to them she is. If you stood five feet from Kate Middleton and she didn't acknowledge you, would you be angry or would you tell everyone you stood five feet from the duchess? I suppose sometimes just being there is enough.
Of course, herein lies the debate of whether or not you can claim to have met someone if they never acknowledged your existence. I think a mutual acknowledgment is a big key to the meeting process. I stand next to people all the time: in line, on the subway, in an elevator. That doesn't mean we met.
Technically, these people saw Britney, stood near her, even experienced her, if you want to go that far. But a story that begins with "I saw Britney" isn't nearly as interesting as a story that begins with "I met Britney." If you saw Britney, then I don't care. If you met her, then tell me more.
But how do you turn an "I saw Britney" story into an "I met Britney" story? First, you'd have to avoid the bodyguard, which is next to impossible. Next, if you somehow climbed that mountain, you'd have to get Britney to acknowledge your existence. That, like avoiding the bodyguard, would be another tough task. It's not to say Britney is a jerk who doesn't care about her fans, but more saying that she's uncomfortable around people she doesn't know (or maybe she is a jerk. I've never met her).
Is there a way to make it work? Could someone actually meet Britney (naturally, not a meet and greet or by winning a contest) where you acknowledge her and she acknowledges you? Maybe it's happened. Maybe someone out there has actually had an honest to God meeting with Britney.
Most likely, they'll start the story with an "I met Britney," but end it with, "She didn't say anything, but it was amazing. I almost died."
So, I guess while never meeting Britney is no fun, having a near death experience is pretty cool . . . maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment