Friday, August 17, 2012

A Broken Heart is Money

A broken heart is good for business. Well, Taylor Swift's business, anyway. The songstress has made millions off her own heartache. Although, if it's making you millions, can it be considered heartache?
You have to wonder if Taylor dates boys just for the breakup. Most people date for love, some date for sex, and even some date for money. For Taylor that's boring.
Imagine dating the country/pop star. You have to know that eventually the breakup is coming. Either she's dumping you or you're dumping her. I'm sure the worse the breakup, the better for Taylor. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if she acted in such a way to force her mate to give her a rude sendoff.
It's always nice to part as friends, but that doesn't make for a good song: "We believed to the end/But we parted as friends." It's much better if your heart is torn out of your chest: "The lying bastard stole my heart/Ripped it out, tore it apart."
I'm sure sometimes Taylor had to move the needle, so to speak, toward a more vicious ending. She's not gonna walk away after a hug and a kiss on the cheek. She didn't make millions by promising a happy ending. She said "We are never, ever getting back together," not "You're amazing, let's remain friends."
Don't get me wrong, everything about Taylor screams nice girl. But nice girls can be vicious. And if she's not the vicious one, then she's gonna make you look like the vicious one. Every good breakup song needs a bad guy.
Picture coming to the end of your relationship with the singer. You want to end it, but don't want to wind up the chorus in her next hit song. Therefore, you take her out somewhere nice. You order a big bottle of wine. You schmooze her. Then you lay it down, gently.
You: Taylor, we need to talk.
Taylor (a wry smile because she knows what's coming): OK!
You: You're a great girl. I've loved spending time with you. I just think it would be best if we saw other people.
Taylor (feigning surprise): What do you mean? Are-are-are you bbbbreaking up with me?
You: Baby, no. It's not like that. It's not about you. It's me. It's not you, it's me.
Taylor (feigning anger): I can't believe you're dumping me. I was so good to you.
You: Oh my God, yes, yes you were. It's just best for you if we move on. I want you to be happy.
Taylor (wipes away the fake tears): I gave you everything. But if this is what's best for me, then I'll try to be strong.
Then she goes and writes a song and makes millions of dollars and has millions of teenage girls playing it and screaming and crying and etc.
It's good to be Taylor Swift.

No comments:

Post a Comment