Friday, October 26, 2012

Britney's Album Catalog

Here are Britney's albums, ranked from worst to best, in my opinion. Standard album only, no bonus tracks included.

7. "Oops! . . . I Did it Again" - No iconic songs hurt an otherwise solid from top to bottom album (minus the wretched "Dear Diary"). Probably the album that showcased her voice best, before she became commercial (I mean, more than she already was).

6. "...Baby One More Time" - One all-time classic (the title track) and one other really good song (Crazy), plus a lot of filler make for a good enough debut. Nowhere near as good as the rest of her catalog. Plus, "E-Mail My Heart" is one of the worst songs ever recorded. Also, what is "Soda Pop" even about?

5. "Britney" - Thanks to "I'm A Slave 4 U" Britney got real sexy, real quick. It also looked like she was gonna start writing a ton more songs (oops, I guess not). It would have been better without the cheesy "I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman" or the cliched "Overprotected."

4. "Circus" - Britney's return to a traditional pop album after the experimental "Blackout," "Circus" has a few teary ballads (including one about her kids). Chock full of good songs - "Womanizer," "If U Seek Amy" and "Circus" - the album was Britney's alleged comeback. It does suffer from some weirdness like "Mannequin" and "Mmm Papi."

3. "In the Zone" - This album features the song that put Britney back on the map - "Toxic." After a dispute with Clear Channel, Britney needed a big radio hit and she got it. "In the Zone" also features Madonna, though it's basically a weak track. Best part of the album: Britney wrote a top 20 hit in "Everytime."

2. "Blackout" - Argued by many to be the greatest Britney album ever, it suffers from a few mistakes, namely concerning the amount of work Britney actually did for the album. Regardless, this album is loaded with great songs, from "Gimme More" to "Toy Soldier." It's a non-stop dance party until you get to the last song, "Why Should I Be Sad?" Of course, this was the start of auto-tune overload.

1. "Femme Fatale" - This album features a murder's row of hits: "Till the World Ends," "Hold it Against Me," "Inside Out," "I Wanna Go," and "How I Roll." And those are just the first five songs. Two missteps include "(Drop Dead) Beautiful" and "Seal it With a Kiss." Other than that, you could put this album on and no one would complain.

Agree/disagree?

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't disagree more. "This was the start of auto-tune overload" - so you like the auto-tune? I mean you DID put that album at #2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As someone said, auto-tune is simply an artistic choice. I don't love it, but Britney can do it because we know she can actually sing. It's more annoying when rappers use it.

      Delete
  2. I would swap 7-6 and 3-1 and I don't think "Britney" would have been better without overprotected, that is one of the best tracks in the album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just find Overprotected to be kinda boring.

      Delete
  3. I prefer In The Zone to Blackout but other than that I cannot complain :D Femme Fatale is also my favourite Britney album to date :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the Zone does have two of the best Britney songs ever :)

      Delete