Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Brie Theory

Meeting people on the Internet is interesting. I've met many people via Internet forums and chat rooms (back in the 90s when people actually did that). Some of them were really good friends and some I spoke to a couple times.
Out of all the people I met online, I only ever met two in person. Both times it went perfectly fine. They were exactly who said they were. One person lived close and one lived a little further away. It actually worked out because the one who lived a bit further met me in Montreal for a Britney concert. Without her, I never would have gone to see that tour (Onyx Hotel).
I feel fortunate that I've been able to meet good people on and off line. There are plenty of people I knew online who I never had the chance to meet and some I know now who I'll probably never meet. But thanks to Twitter, Facebook, texting, Skype, and the like, you can have relationships with people without ever meeting them. Not serious relationships, necessarily, but good friendships.
Sometimes you can have good friendships that turn to shit, because sometimes people lie to your face (well, via text message). Or, they say one thing but act a completely different way. For example, they say they don't like you and aren't your friend, yet they talk to you all the time. Confusing, right?
Let's say one day you get mad and tell that person to fuck off (and you're not the kinda person who says things like that often). This person you told to fuck off, let's say a month later, starts talking to you again. Even more confusing, right?
I know I don't get it. I don't understand how someone can say and do opposite things. Tell me all about your life and your problems and your boyfriends, but when we fight you suddenly never liked me. Of course, when we don't fight, you like me just fine. I hear about your drunk one-night stands that turn into three-year relationships and I wonder if I'm supposed to feel sorry for you. Do you want my sympathy? I doubt it, because you even admit that your behavior was foolish and wrong.
The funniest thing is how the meanest things you say are throwaway lines you don't even realize are insulting. For instance, telling me in no uncertain terms that I'm not important. Do you even see how hard a slap in the face that is? Especially considering all the things I've done.
It seems like I'm complaining, and maybe I am, but I'm tired of being stepped on and used. I'm pretty considerate, and outside of maybe two instances I've never really gotten angry. I'm good at shoving problems down and keeping my mouth shut. That's why I'm writing this blog. Just to get everything out there.
I think everyone at least once has felt used. I even think in some situations it's OK. If you're hurting you can take it out on me. I can take it. But there comes a point where it's always about you and never about me. Over four years I've realized that you have issues you need to work on. When every relationship you've ever been in starts with you getting drunk, then that's pretty obvious. And now you've found someone without the use of alcohol, which is great, but . . . well, you called me clingy, yet in the four years I've known you, I don't think you've ever not been dating someone. Honestly, you're Taylor Swift minus the fame and fortune.
I've been single for many years, you're always in a relationship. Who's clingy? I'm not flying to Texas to meet some guy I just met through World of Warcraft for a booty call. I'm sorry, but if a guy who just started dating you last month is willing to pay your ticket to Texas, he's clearly looking for sex.
I hate to air dirty laundry, but I'm tired of going back and forth. This is the best way to get my feelings out. For whomever reads this, maybe you've been in my situation. If so, let me know how it ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment